Benefits of Customer Service Outsourcing
At a time when technology allows for convenience at our fingertips, customers expect quality service and they expect it to be fast. They want to be able to send a message at any time of day instead of waiting to speak with someone during business hours. Customer service outsourcing (CSO), when executed well with the right partner, can be the perfect solution to satisfying these expectations. Your team can provide convenient, 24/7 customer service without having to work around the clock.
We’ve all experienced terrible customer service, or lack thereof, at some point. With so many options available to consumers, a bad or even so-so customer service experience can send your customer elsewhere before you even realize what happened. Likewise, an exceptional experience shared by one person on social media can have your business booming overnight. Either way--whether you are dealing with unhappy customers or more customers than expected--how you approach customer service will be a defining factor for your brand.
Luckily, you don’t have to manage it all yourself. Particularly in early stages of growth, customer service outsourcing can be a great way to guarantee satisfied customers while focusing on growing your business. Like many business owners, you may be unsure if CSO is the right strategy. Is it worth the investment? Is it too risky? There are many factors to consider, but let’s start with the main benefits. Read on to find out how customer service outsourcing achieves efficiency and customer satisfaction, and can help you focus your efforts on innovation and business growth.
Benefits of Customer Service Outsourcing
Exceptional customer service, combined with a quality product or offering, always results in satisfied customers. With the right partner, customer service outsourcing can increase the quality of your business’s interactions with customers, leading to even more loyal customers. Here’s how: an outsourcer who specializes in customer support not only has specialized knowledge, but can also scale their resources and technology in a way that your small business may not be able to.
This allows for:
- More language options: Many customer service outsourcers offer several languages, allowing you to reach all of your customers in an effective and affordable way.
- Broader support hours: This means that your business can offer weekend customer service, even when your office is closed. Even better, complaints made on social media don’t have to wait until Monday for a response.
- Improved coverage: Since the outsourcer is working for several clients, they can allocate their resources much more efficiently according to peak times. Volume becomes a non-issue, leading to shorter wait times even during your busiest seasons.
All of this leads to consistency and quality in the customer experience, resulting in satisfied customers who will likely spread the word about their smooth customer experience. If your business can’t profitably implement these features in-house, customer service outsourcing may be the answer.
Outsourcing will save your business money in obvious places like the cost of overhead, employee downtime, and training and benefits packages for internal employees. It also creates efficiencies in the not-so-obvious places, like:
- Leadership: As entrepreneurs and business owners, CSO will save you valuable time and resources from a management perspective. Let yourself and the other leaders of your business spend more time focused on delivering value to your customers and less time managing call centers and employee trainings.
- Competitive edge: Many companies would never consider CSO because their customer service is what differentiates their brand in the marketplace. But the reality is that most customer service teams spend a majority of their time handling Tier 1 tickets. Tier 1, or Level 1, represents the initial support level of basic customer issues and questions, like “Can you help me find my account number?” Imagine the competitive edge you could gain if even a small percentage of these tickets could be outsourced so that the team could focus on improving the customer experience even further.
- Technology: Customer service technology is evolving quickly and is crucial for execution and data analysis-- but it requires a hefty investment if you want to be cutting edge. Let your customer service outsourcer make those investments so you don’t have to. For example, Simplr provides business intelligence to its clients through a robust customer feedback tool featuring trend analysis. Simplr’s clients gain critical insights to improve their products and services without having to invest in the technology or do the manual work themselves to uncover the trends in thousands of inquiries. Additionally, Simplr provides easy integrations with popular platforms such as Shopify Plus and Magento via the Zendesk customer service extension.
Customer service outsourcing not only increases efficiency and quality, but in doing so allows you to put more energy and focus into innovating and growing your business. Customer service is multi-faceted and ever-changing, especially as technology introduces more ways for customers to connect via live chat, text, and messenger. Luckily, there are companies who are experts in this-- why not outsource to them so that you can stay focused on taking your business to the next level?
One important factor to consider when thinking about customer service outsourcing is that no one knows your business better than you. The best outsourcers will work with you to create a hybrid model that divides customer volume in whichever way makes the most sense for your business. For example, your outsourcer can handle the easier questions and complaints, and can direct the more complicated and pressing issues to your internal teams (see this great article on how to improve your internal customer service). This way, the outsourcer is acting as an extension of your team, while your team focuses on the customer feedback that matters most or requires more focused attention.
No matter the benefits, investing in customer service outsourcing is certainly a big decision to make. Read more on our blog about the pros and cons of customer service outsourcing, as well as other factors to take into consideration as you weigh your options.